Friday, July 24, 2009

Spinach Smoothies

I know what you are thinking, but they really are delicious!  We eat these for breakfast several times a week and we love them.  LOVE them.

Spinach Smoothies

3 cups fresh washed spinach (I buy the pre-washed kind in the big box from Costco)
1 cup frozen blueberries
4 frozen strawberries
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup vanilla soymilk
1/2 cup juice, any flavor (or 2 Tbsp frozen juice concentrate and 1/2 cup water)

Put ingredients in the blender in this order.  Blend until nice and smooth.  You may have to add a bit more liquid and you may have to stop the blender to push the frozen stuff down once the spinach is ground up.

It turns a nice purple color and you absolutely can not taste the spinach.  Nice way to get iron!  I always double the recipe and it makes enough for my husband and I to each have a tall glass of it and for the kids to have small straw cups of it.  Then we eat 1-2 pieces of fruit and are filled until lunch.  I love smoothie days because my kids are getting a very healthy breakfast and don't beg me for food an hour later.

Enjoy!

No comments: