Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Transform Tuesday -- Table Runner Tutorial

I was looking through some of my older posts today and realized that I never posted the tutorial I made for my table runner.  Well today is your lucky day, becauser here it is!

Before:  We bought this table at a yard sale when we first got married.  We've had it for almost 10 years and it is still going strong.  The chairs have sadly not made it.  Someday I will make beautiful slip covers for these awesome Costco chairs.  :)

After:

If you want the tutorial, keep reading!

I decided I wanted to make a table runner with this fabric.  It was on sale at JoAnn's, so I bought what was left.  If you want to see what else I did with it, click here.
Supplies

  • 2.5 yards of a pretty fabric of your choice (you will have enough left over to make some pillows or maybe a matching valance)

  • 2.5 yards of a backing material.  I usually use a white sheet.

  • scissors

  • sewing machine

  • straight pins

  • iron and ironing board

1.  First, you have to measure your table and figure out what kind of table runner you want.  My table is 36 in. by 66 in.  So I decided I wanted my runner to be 16 in. by 76 in.  Making sure to leave room for a seam allowance, I cut my fabric to 17in. by 77 in.
2.  If there is a pattern to your fabric, you may need to cut it down the middle instead of just starting at one edge.  I wanted the main swirly patter to go down the center, so I cut my fabric with that in mind.  You will also need a backing material.  I use sheets for these types of projects.  They are big and cheap and work great.  Cut your backing material the same size.


 3.  You also need to decide if you want a straight end or a pointed end.  I decided on a straight end because our table has seen better days and I wanted to cover it up.
4.  Next you will need to serge (or zig-zag) the edges of both pieces of fabric and pin them together.  Remember to pin them with right sides facing each other.
5.  After you have it pinned, sew it together.  Make sure to leave an opening so you can flip it right side out.
6.  Next you will want to clip your corners and iron the seam open.  You can see that once you clip the corners the bulk is out of the way and it will flip right side out with no problems.
7.  Flip it and iron it again.  Pin right next to the edge to hold it down and then topstich right next to the edge.  This will sew up the hole that you left to flip it through.
And there you have it!  A beautiful table runner that was a cinch to make! 
 

I'm linking to these sites.  Go check them out!

What have you transformed?  Link it up!

Here are the rules:

1.  Use the link to your actual blog post, not your general blog address.
2.  Grab a button and post it on your blog somewhere.











3.  Check out what everyone has done and leave them some comment love!

7 comments:

Bonnie @ House of Grace said...

The runner is awesome! Great job.
Bonnie :)

the cape on the corner said...

what a great runner! thanks for hosting!

Chrissie said...

Hi, thanks for hosting the party today. I am a new follower, LOVE the table runner!

Ami Allison said...

Beautiful table runner!!! Thanks for hosting! :)

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Love your table runner, so pretty! Thanks for hosting this party.

The Prudent Homemaker said...

I think your table runner is very pretty.

Stacia said...

What a lovely table runner! I am hoping to make one for my table when my sewing machine is back up and running! Thanks for the inspiration!