Friday, June 5, 2009

Diaper Bags

Let's talk Diaper bags.  At one time diaper bags were, in my opinion like maternity clothes used to be...purely functional.  They did the job, but didn't really add to your appearance at all.  Thank goodness things have changed!

When my first was born I spent a lot of time trying to pick "the perfect diaper bag".  It had to have just enough pockets and places to hold everything I needed, not be monstrously big, and still be somewhat stylish.  I ended up with something similar to this.
When my second child was born (18 months later) I quickly realized that my "perfect" diaper bag wasn't big enough for two kids.  I still had the same requirements as I did the first time.  It just needed to be a little bit bigger.  I ended up with something similar to this.

When my third child was born (20 months after #2) I had to swallow my image pride and get something completely practical.  I used the same bag for #3 and #4.  I had 3 kids in diapers at the same time twice!  I needed lots of room for lots of stuff.  I ended up with something similar to this.

Yes it is big, but it holds everything I need.  Now that my 4th child is almost 18 months old, I am getting excited to put this down and get a nice stylish purse...

There are as many different types of diaper bags as they are types of diapers.  When you are looking for one, you need to figure out what your needs are and what type of person you are.  You also need to decide if you are going to buy a new bag with each new child or if you want it to work for multiple children.

If you are they type of person who constantly has blisters because you just can't make yourself wear more practical shoes that may not perfectly match your outfit, then you may feel like you will have to sacrifice practicality in the name of fashion.  Not necessarily.

If you are the type of person who wears tennis shoes with your suit because comfort is the only way to go, then you may not really care what it looks like as long as it gets the job done.  Finding a fashionable diaper bag that is also completely practical and comfortable might be easier than you think.

Check out these different sites. 

There are tons of options in all different price ranges.  You can also think about using a computer bag with lots of pockets, which was what my second bag really was.  Or you can try a back pack.  They have lots of different compartments for all of the different things you need to carry.  Look through the old purses you already have.  Maybe one of them is big enough or has enough compartments to hold what you need.  Chances are that if you already own it, you already like it.  Or you can look at small duffle bags, which is what the diaper bag I currently use is.

No comments: