Wednesday, June 23, 2010

New You Challenge

I don't know how many of you have noticed the "New You" tab on my sidebar.  If you haven't noticed it, then you are missing out on a really great opportunity!  If you don't want to read the whole post, I'll give you the Cliff's Notes version.
A really great friend of mine emailed me in February and asked me if I wanted to run a half marathon with her in October.  I said YES!!!  We decided to do the walking training schedule first, and then to follow the running training schedule second.  We started at the beginning of April and this weekend our walking schedule is done!  I can't believe it!  We have both done 1/2 marathons before, but it was atleast 1 kid ago for each of us.

I've learned/remembered several things during this process.  First, this is a major time committment, but definitely worth it!  Second, there is nothing sexy about pushing 4 kids on the stroller while dripping sweat from every possible pore in my body.  Third, I have officially graduated from the "spring chicken" category.

About a month ago I was reading my friend's blog and she posted about these amazing new shoes she got.  She said that wearing them while working out has made all of the hip pain she was feeling go away...completely.  I have been having knee pain, hip pain, and lower back pain since I started training, but just assumed it was because I'm not as young as I used to be.  As soon as I heard her talk about these shoes, I was interested.  My husband and I did some major research on these particular shoes, and decided to give them a try.

They are called Vibram Five Fingers.  They look really strange don't they?  I've only had them for about 2 weeks, but so far so good!
 

This is the kind I got.  I wore them to walk in for the first couple of days.  They feel weird the first few times you wear them and they are a bit tricky to get on at first, but it doesn't take long to figure it out.  My friend said that it would take a week or two to get used to them and to the way your feet will feel in them, but after the initial "breaking in" period, they will be the BEST shoes you have ever worn.  So far, I agree with her.  It did take about a week and a half to get used to them, but now I really like them.  Best of all?  All of my knee, hip, and lower back pain is gone. Completely gone!  However, my feet have felt a little sore when I finish running.  You know, like the soreness of being on your feet all day.  Not real pain, just a bit sore.  For now I am assuming it is because my feet and body aren't quite used to "running barefoot".

I wear mine ALL of the time.  I wear them to the grocery store, to the mall, around the house, and to the gym.  I get a lot of comments on them and even more weird looks.  I am loving the fact that my knee, hip, and lower back pain are gone.  I am interested to find out if the "sore" feeling in my feet goes away.  I haven't decided if I am going to train for the 1/2 marathon in only these, or if I'm still going to wear my running shoes too.  I plan to just take it a day at a time and see how my feet feel.

If you are interested in getting some, you can order them directly from their site, or you can find a licensed retailer to get them from.  We ordered mine from REI.  Here is what they look like on my feet.

Are you interested in joining the NEW YOU challenge?  Just leave a comment saying you want in on the fit and fun.  Every Sunday night I change the training schedule listed on my sidebar so you know exactly what you are supposed to be doing on what day.  I am not a licensed trainer, but if you have questions or need help with something I will do my best to help you.  So, let's get moving!!

DISCLAIMER:  I am not a Dr.  I am not an athletic trainer.  I am a stay at home mom who likes to run.  That's all.  In my research on these shoes I saw lots of people who think they are the absolute best things invented and lots of people who think they are the absolute worst things invented.  They are not for everyone.  You may really like them, or you may hate them.  Just don't hate me for recommending them.  :)

I am linking this up to these sites.  Go check them out!!

• Show and Tell @ Blue Cricket Design
• We Did it Wednesday @ Sew Much Ado
• Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
• Strut your stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
• Favorite Things Friday @ A Few of my Favorite Things
• Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
• Home and Family Friday @ Home is Where my Story Begins

5 comments:

Megan said...

I've never seen anything like those! How funny! I bet they are comfortable though. I'm going to have to check those out! Good luck with your marathon! I think that's great that you are training for one, I wish I had that kind of motivation!!!

Wendy said...

My husband and I each have a pair of those, but ours are older...the fivefinger classics (when we ordered, there were only 2 or 3 options hahaha). Love them! I need to start wearing them more though!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I have read so much about those and I am definitely tempted . . .

Anonymous said...

I'm a physical therapist, and I heard about these at a continuing education course. One of the presenters is a very accomplished runner, and he LOVES these shoes. He thinks they will revolutionize foot wear or at the very least athletic foot wear.

The Girly Tomboy said...

Joining you via the shabby cottage!

I am in the process of formulating a fitness/health section into my blog because I really need to get into shape!

I look forward to having you as a virtual workout buddy! :)