Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Whatever Wednesday -- Marshmallow Fondant

I love the look of a cake covered in fondant, but I can't stand the taste of store bought fondant.  I stumbled across this recipe a little over a year ago and have never looked back.

Marshmallow Fondant
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 (16 oz.) bag mini marshmallows
  • 4 Tbsp water
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 pounds confectioners' sugar, divided
Directions
  1. Place butter in a shallow bowl, and set aside
  2. Place the marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 - 60 seconds to start melting the marshmallows.  Carefully stir the water and vanilla extract into the hot marshmallows and stir until the mixture is smooth.  Slowly beat the confectioner's sugar, a cup at a time, until you have a sticky dough.  Reserve 1 cup of powdered sugar for kneading.  The dough will be very stiff.
  3. Rub your hands thoroughly with butter, and begin kneadint the sticky dough.  As you knead, the dough will become workable and pliable.  Turn the dough out onto a working surface dusted with confectioners' sugar and continue kneadint until the fondant is smooth and no longer sticky to the touch.  5 to 10 minutes.
  4. Form the fondant into a ball, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.  To use, allow the fondant to come to room temperature, and roll it out onto a flat surface dusted with confectioners' sugar.
This stuff is great!  It actually tastes pretty good too.  It is very important to refrigerate overnight.  It is much harder to work with it you try and use it immediately after making it.  I forgot to take a picture of it before I used it, so I got this picture from the net.

Come back Friday to see my most recent cake.  I promise you won't want to miss it.

4 comments:

susan said...

I make this too and it doesn't even resemble the other fondant! So good!

Maryle said...

I can't wait to try this!

The Oxford Family said...

I just made my first cake with this and will give you a warning; marshamallow fondant + humidity = very bad ending!

Erin said...

I can't wait to see your cake tomorrow! I'll definitely have to try this (although the thought of fondant scares me. I don't think I'm talented enough to do it!)

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com