Monday, August 2, 2010

Messy Monday -- DIY Sidewalk Paint

Happy Monday!!  I need your help.  I am looking for some Messy Monday friendly link parties to link up to each week.  Do any of you know any?  I would love some suggestions, so please leave me a comment and let me know.

Now let's get MESSY!  Today I thought I would show you how to make homemade sidewalk paint.  It is super easy and super cheap.  And it uses my very favorite messy ingredient...yes, you guessed it...cornstarch.  This stuff is seriously my favorite.

Homemade Sidewalk Paint
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 6-8 drops food coloring
  1. Measure cornstarch into as many bowls as you want colors.
  2. Add water and stir.  It will be hard to stir at first, but keep stirring and it will become smooth and look like milk.
  3. Add food coloring.  My kids thought it was cool that the food coloring just sat there until we stirred it up.
  4. Grab some old paint brushes and have some fun!
You'll have to keep stirring as you paint.  The cornstarch starts to settle on the bottom of your bowl if you don't.  It dries like sidewalk chalk and washes away with water.  The color is also much darker while it is wet.  It lightens up as it dries.  If you want dark, vibrant colors once it dries, you will have to use more food coloring.  We only used 6 drops of each color.

Don't forget to come back tomorrow for my Laundry Room Reveal!!  I promise you will love it!

What have you done for Messy Monday?  Link it up!

1.  Use the link to your actual blog post, not your blog address.
2.  Grab a Messy Monday button and put it in your blog post or somewhere on your blog.



 
 
 


3.  Go check out what everyone else is up to and leave them some comment love!
I'm linking to these sites.  Go check them out!

• Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
• Market yourself Monday @ Sumo’s Sweet Stuff
• Making the World Cuter Monday @ Making the World Cuter
• Anti-Procrastination Tuesday@ New Nostalgia
• Take a look Tuesday @ Sugar Bee Craft Edition
• Show and Tell @ Blue Cricket Design
• We Did it Wednesday @ Sew Much Ado
• Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
• Strut your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
• Favorite Things Friday @ A Few of my Favorite Things
• Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
• Home and Family Friday @ Home is Where my Story Begins

8 comments:

Jami said...

This is an awesome idea! We will try it this week! You must have some fun ideas for wrapping gifts, too! I hope you'll stop by my PRETTY PACKAGES PARTY and share some of your talent! Be sure to grab a button for a reminder!
http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2010/08/first-ever-pretty-packages-party.html
smiles!

Diane said...

Hi Sarah.

Thanks for visiting me over at Pittypat Paperie. You asked about the swirly thing over my plaques. No, that isn't vinyl it an iron piece from Hobby Lobby.

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

WOW!! I absolutely adore this idea! If only I had some sidewalk (just an apartment!) I love that this is a do-it-yourself recipe! Thanks so much for sharing!

~Alison
http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/

Denise said...

I hopped over from the Blue Cricket Design linky party. I am IN LUV with this idea!!! Thanks for sharing:)

Marty said...

OMGosh, I may just get the kids up and at em with this idea today!! Thanks for sharing=)
Stopping in from strut your stuff Thursday=)

Anonymous said...

This is a great recipe, all of the ingredients are things I already have in my kitchen! Thanks for sharing, and inspiring my creativity!

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Owen P said...

Appreciate you blogging thiss