Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Whatever Wednesday -- Cutest Little Bows

Aren't these the cutest little things you have ever seen?  I love them.  I first saw jumbo ones made out of paper at Christy's Creative Chaos.  I loved them so much I decided to try and make them out of ribbon.  I showed you how to do that here.

I love how easy they are and how quickly they go together.  My only problem with them is how heavy they are when you use a hot glue gun to put them together.  I was thinking about it while I was falling asleep the other day and when I woke up I knew just how to do it with a needle and thread.  I tried it today and I love it!  I made some mini ones using 1/2 inch ribbon, but you could yse the same technique to make bigger ones.

Mini Bow Tutorial
  • 1 yard 1/2 in. ribbon
  • scissors
  • ruler
  • matching needle and thread
Cut your ribbon in the following increments.
  • 4 - 6 in. pieces
  • 2 - 5 in. pieces
  • 1 - 2 in. piece
  1. Starting with your long pieces, make a loop in each end and have it meet in the middle.  Follow the pictures to see what it is supposed to look like.
  2. Holding the loops with one hand, stick your needle up through the middle of your ribbon.
  3. Continue making loops and stick them on your needle.  You will want each set of 2 ribbons to make an X and then offset the X's so that it fans out like a bow.
  4. After you are done with all of the long pieces, use the medium pieces and do the same thing.
  5. With your last piece make a single loop.
  6. This could be a little tricky, Holding the loop, push the needle up through it and then feed the needle back down through all of the ribbon.  Then tie it off on the underside of your bow.
  7. There you have it!  If you want to make bigger bows, just use 1 in. ribbon and double the length of each piece.
You could use these to wrap packages, embelish scrapbook pages, on hair clips or headbands.  I think I'm going to glue some alligator clips to the back of these for my girls.  What do you think? 

I'm linking to these sites.  Go check them out!

• Show and Tell @ Blue Cricket Design
• We Did it Wednesday @ Sew Much Ado
• Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
• Strut your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
• Favorite Things Friday @ A Few of my Favorite Things
• Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
• Home and Family Friday @ Home is Where my Story Begins

4 comments:

Denise Marie said...

Girl..they are amazing and look simple but I'm not sure my fumble fingers could do it. Love that you could really coordinate with your gift box or bag!

Jami said...

These are awesome! I'm so glad you stopped by and shared them at the Pretty Packages Party!
smiles!

Monica Grondin said...

I bet you could try stapling them too! Thats how the premade ones are. But I am super excited to go and try them out, I'll use the needle and thread first. Thanks for the idea!!

Maryle said...

Those are so dang cute! I'm gonna have to make some for holly.