Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Craft and Sewing Room Reorganization

When I decided to teach preschool out of our home, we turned out dining room into the preschool/craft/sewing room.  It wasn't that hard to do since we didn't have a dining room table and the room was empty.  Most of the room is dedicated to preschool, but I have one cabinet and one wall where my crafty/sewing stuff is.  And, I am almost ashamed to admit that it was a total disaster.  My kids like to get into my stuff and I haven't been good at keeping it organized.  It desperately needed to be cleared out and organized.  Don't believe me?  Look at the before pictures.  YIKES!

So, I emptied everything out and got to work.  I sorted everything by what it was...ribbon, yarn, fabric, thread, and stuff for my etsy store.  Then I put the little stuff into containers and put it all back.  It took me a few hours, but I am so happy to have everything organized and easily accessible.

These fabric boxes up on top were on sale at Wal-Mart and I thought they would be perfect for holding my ribbon and thread.  For the ribbon I just sorted it by color.  For the thread, I took each spool and the matching bobbin and put it in a snack size ziploc.  Now I just have to find the color I need and I'm ready to go.

I also got these locks to help keep my kids out.  They work pretty well as long as I remember to lock them when I am done.

So, what do you think?

p.s. there is still time to enter my Messy Monday and Transform Tuesday linky parties.  I'd love to see what you have to show off!

I linked up to these sites.  Go check them out!
Show and Tell GreenTransformation Thursday
Organize and Decorate EverythingJoin us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!


12 comments:

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Wow...that came out great! So neat and tidy and super organized. Love it!!


-heather

Trish said...

Nice! I like the idea to put the thread and bobbin together in a bag. Genius!

Becca Ross said...

I just posted my fabric reorganization on my blog too! Your space looks fabulous. I'd love it if you'd join my Home and Family Friday linky parties.
http://becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com

Becca

Angie Holden said...

Looks much better now!! My "craft" area looks like your before....

Leanne said...

It looks great now and great idea with the baggies. Oh, and your cookbook has been sent. Sorry, it took so long. Jana was out of town for a few days. Thanks for linking again.

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

Love the idea of storing the bobbin with the matching color thread! You are Genius!

Ashlee Marie said...

I'm completely moving my craft room right now, I hope my reorganization goes as well as yours did!

Kate said...

Wow! That looks great! Putting the thread and matching bobbin in a ziplock is genius!

Rebecca@This Present Life said...

Great job! I'm sure you feel more creative in there now, too! Saw you at Along for the Ride.

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

the after pics look so much better. I love it when my things are nice and organized, I don't like chaos in my craft room, it's not fun to have to look for things.

Sandy said...

Following from TTJ. Love your organization...wish they had those locks when my children were small.. I used tape... wanna come do mine..lol

Sandy

http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

Laura said...

What a great transformation! Just wanted you to know that I am featuring your craft room at tomorrow's Saturday is Crafty Day!!