Friday, May 14, 2010

How to make the PERFECT pie crust

This is my go to recipe for pie crust.  I have NEVER had any problems with it and ALWAYS get compliments on it.  I even won a pie baking contest using this recipe.  Best part?  It is so easy!  I'll give you the amount of ingredients for both a single and double crust pie.  The directions are the same for both.

Single Crust Pie
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup shortening
  • 4-5 Tbsp cold water (you want the water to be cold so it doesn't melt the shortening)
Double Crust Pie
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2/3 cup shortening
  • 6-7 Tbsp cold water
  1. Put flour in a bowl and add shortening.  Using a pastry blender (or a the tines of a fork) cut the shortening into the flour until the pieces are about the size of peas.
  2. Add your water, 1 Tbsp at a time, by pouring each Tbsp on different sections of the dough.
  3. Once your water is added, use a wooden spoon (or any other sturdy spoon) to mix the water into the flour mixture.  Do this until a dough ball forms on your spoon and the flour is completely worked in.  If you are unable to mix to this point using a spoon, dump the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and work it in.  Don't handle the dough too much or knead it.  If you do, you will make it tough.  Handle the dough as little as possible.
  4. At this point either roll it out and put it in your pan (for one crust) or split the dough into to equal pieces.  Roll the dough out as evenly as possible.  Don't worry about measuring it.
  5. Once you think it is big enough, just flip your pie pan onto it and check to see if it will fit.  Once you are sure it will fit it is ready for your pan.
  6. There is a little trick to getting your crust off of the counter and into your pan.  Lay your rolling pin on top of the dough and gently roll the dough onto your pin.  Then gently roll it off of your pin and onto the pan.  Super easy!
If you are making a sigle crust pie, add your filing, trim the edges and finish off.  Then bake according to whatever is inside the pie.  If you are worried about the edges getting too brown, loosley cover them with foil until the last 15 minutes of bake time.

If you are making a double crust pie, add your filing, but don't finish off your edge.  Roll out the other dough ball in the same manner as the first one.  Roll it onto your rolling pin and carefully roll it back out onto the pie pan.  Trim the edges and finish however you want.  Finally, cut a pattern or some slits into the top.  This is very important.  The slits allow steam to escape which means the inside of your crust won't be soggy.

What do you do with the left over crust?  Lay them out flat on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  Bake them at 350 F for 10-12 minutes.  Enjoy!!

There you have it.  Perfect Pie Crust everytime.  If you have any questions you can email me.

I am linking this up to these sites.  Go check them out!
Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!Favorite%2BThings%2BFridaybig%2Bbutton.jpg

15 comments:

Inspired2cook said...

Pie crust is a hard one to master...I'm still working on it. I'll have to give your recipe a try. Thanks for posting it!
http://www.inspired2cook.com/

Erica (Irene) said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe, I'll have to try it as I'm still trying to master a pie crust.

have a happy weekend!

http:erica-sweetonyou.blogspot.com

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Have you ever tried this recipe using butter? I'd be interested in knowing how they compared. My crust recipe is similar, but I use butter instead of shortening. What can I say... I'm a nut for butter. Happy Baking!!!

:)
ButterYum

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

PS - I forgot to compliment you on your crimping skills. Lovely pie!!

:)
ButterYum

Sarah @ The Pumpkin Patch said...

ButterYum--I have never tried butter. I just might have to one of these days. Thanks for your compliments on my crimping skills. :)

Erin said...

The "left overs" sprinkled with cinnamon look delicious!!! I think I would make pie crust just for that!

Have a great weekend too! Enjoy the sunshine!

Kitty Deschanel said...

I love this post! When I first saw it, I thought "Pfft, I'm not planning to bake any pies any time soon".
Then, I saw those tasty looking cinnamon sugar pie crust scraps and you won my heart (and my sugar-addicted stomach)! Mmmmmmmmmmm! :)

~Lamb

http://lambaround.blogspot.com

Diane said...

OMGosh, that looks delish. TFS. I found you via Along For The Ride. Glad I did. Hope you can stop by Pittypat Paperie sometime and visit me.

Have a great weekend. Diane

Kate said...

YUM! My stomach is growling! Thanks so much for stopping by Bookworm to Bombshell! I will definitely be back for your parties!

Diane said...

Hi Sarah. Love the piecrust info. I need all the help I can get with those, lol.

Thanks for stopping by Pittypat Paperie. Glad you liked my little flag.

Not only will vinyl stick to fabric, but all kinds of surfaces. It is my new favorite medium.

I have lots of posts on my blog where I used vinyl.

I will be sure and bookmark and enter your blog parties. Diane

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

You are way braver than I. It Looks great! I have yet to try my own pie crust. Got my bread down pat but not crust.

Thanks for stopping by my lil' blog and your sweet comments.

In answer to your question I purchased the splatter guard from Ikea but they have them in my local grocery stores as well. I really liked this one because it did not have a big handle. the part on top for you to lift it with folds flat for storage. :o)

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Your recipe looks great, and you seem to have a sure hand and a deft touch with your pie crust. Alas, I don't make pies anymore since I'm now diabetic, but the memory of pie (sigh) is a wonderful one. The little crispy crusty snacks bring back alot of nice memories!

Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas said...

Hi..I’m Barb….I am from Saturdays are crafty days .. I love your pie recipe..It brings back loving memories of my mother (she also made the extra crust with the cinnamon sugar as a treat!!)
I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
& get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

Anonymous said...

Nothing like home baked pie crust-YUMMY!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing. Makes me wanna make a pie. But I know mine won't look as good as yours.