Friday, May 21, 2010

Oatmeal Cake

Anyone who knows me well knows that I love cake.  Seriously...I love it.  I think it would take all of my willpower to be stuck in a room with a piece of cake all day and not touch it.  Especially if it was Oatmeal Cake.

Isn't it beautiful?  Don't you wish you could open up your computer screen and take a bite?  It tastes a lot like a spice cake, but is more moist and has a much better texture.  The frosting is amazing.  The same frosting you would find on a German Chocolate cake.  Oh my yumminess!!!  I might have to make some this weekend.

Oatmeal Cake
  • 1 1/2 cups boiling water
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs, well beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  1. In a small bowl, pour boiling water over oats and let sit until completely cooled.
  2. In a large bowl, cream shortening with sugars and eggs until fluffy.
  3. Add oats and water mixture and mix.
  4. Sift together dry ingredients (I don't sift) and blend into the wet ingredients.
  5. Pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish. (no nead to grease the pan, but you can if you want)
  6. Bake at 350F for 35-45 minutes or until cake tests done.  I start with 35 and go from there.  It usually ends up somewhere right around 40 minutes.
  7. Spread topping on baked cake as soon as it comes from oven.  **This step is very important**

Topping
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
  • 1 cup nuts chopped (I use walnuts)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  1. Melt butter and add sugar.
  2. Blend well.
  3. Add remaining ingredients and spread on baked cake as soon as it comes from the oven.
Place under broiler for a minute or two, if desired (make sure your dish can go under the brioler)
.
This cake is really good warm with some vanilla ice cream.  It is also really good cold.  Who am I kidding.  It is really good however you eat it!

Don't forget my Birthday Giveaway.

I'm also linking up to these sites.  Go check them out.
Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!

6 comments:

Jess said...

That looks really yummy! And I'm not even a big cake person! I hope you get to go to Hawaii for your 10 year anniversary. Thanks for stopping by for Favorite Things Friday!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Oh wow. I've never heard of Oatmeal Cake! How yummy. I can't wait to try it!

Staci J said...

Yum-O! That looks heavenly, even at midnight, which is when I'm writing this:)
visiting from the weekend wrap-up
justsewsassy.com

Joyce said...

I sure do wish I could open up my computer screen and taste this cake. I would probably have to have a piece now and another one for later tonight!
Joyce

Laura said...

Wow that looks delicious! Oatmeal makes it healthy, right!?

Thanks for linking up to Saturday is Crafty Day at along for the ride!

Erin said...

This looks so yummy! I wish I had a big slice right now!

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com