Thursday, May 13, 2010

My Motivation

I've been thinking a lot this week about why people do what they do.  Why they are who they are.  What motivates them.  I don't think it has to be the same thing at all times.  Depending on the situation different things can motivate us.  Some of our motivations can be good, like love, peace, and happiness.  Sometimes our motivation can be the opposite.  Things like fear, lonliness, and low self esteem.

I've also done a self inventory...seriously looked at my life and where I am at.  What things are good that I should keep up and enhance.  What things are not good that I should change or stop all together.  This self inventory made it pretty clear what some of my big motivations are.  Mostly they are good...mostly my motivation is my family.  However, I also noticed that sometimes I act out of a desire for acceptance or fear of failure.  I don't like that.  I want to be secure in who I am.  I want to know what my purpose is at all times and to act accordingly.  I don't think this just happens.  This is a conscious decision.  I don't want to look back at who I used to be and let that person dictate who I am today or who I will be in the future. 

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Author Unknown

Here's to your happy ending.

2 comments:

Clint Cora, Speaker/Author said...

Things can also change over time so the self inventory you talk about should be done on regular intervals. I know that in my case, goals change over time as does my motivation for them.

Cheffie Jo said...

A great friend (and mentor) of mine reminded me last night that we are who we say we are. If one wants to be successful, wealthy, confident, etc, one should write it down and say it out loud every day. Saying the things we want out loud turns them into reality.

Thanks for sharing your personal thoughts. It's always great to learn from the perspective of others!