Friday, July 16, 2010

Foodie Friday -- Whole Wheat Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce

A good friend of mine introduced me to a new cookbook.  (Thanks Maryle)  It is called 7 Secrets Cookbook written by Neva and Jim Brackett.  It is a vegan cookbook and I am in love with it.  Many of you know that we try to eat healthy and take care of our bodies.  We aren't totally Vegan (no animal products whatsoever), but are pretty close to it.  We definitely eat a plant based diet.  Well, this cookbook is seriously so good.  I have tried a lot of the recipes from it and and love them all.*  Best part?  My kids love it too.  They have eaten EVERYTHING I have made from this book.  No lie.  I got mine off of Amazon for $13.

Whole Wheat Pancakes
  • 4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 quart regular soy milk (one box)
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 Tbsp. baking soda
  1. Mix all ingredients together with a blender or a whisk.  (I just used a spoon).
  2. Cook on a medium high griddle.
  3. This makes about 20 pancakes.
Strawberry Sauce
  • 4 cups fresh or frozen strawberries, diced
  • 12 ounce can frozen concentrated apple or white grape juice  (we used apple)
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 Tbsp potato starch mixed with 1/2 cup water (can use 1/3 cup corn starch)
  1. Mix first three ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to boil over high heat.
  2. Remove from heat and briskly stir the sauce while slowly adding starch/water mixture.
  3. Return to heat and stir while bringing back to boil.  Keep stirring until it is thickened.
These were so good I didn't want to stop eating them.  My kids loved them and want me to make them everyday.

*I think she goes a little heavy on the salt and onion powder, so I adjust it down, but that is the only adjustment I have had to make to any of the recipes.  I'm sure it is individual preference.

I'm linking up to these sites.  Go check them out!!

• Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
• Strut your stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
• Favorite Things Friday @ A Few of my Favorite Things
• Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
• Foodie Friday @ Cheffie Jo
• Home and Family Friday @ Home is Where my Story Begins

1 comment:

Maryle said...

Hooray, I'm famous! My family loves these, too.