Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Whatever Wednesday -- When I grow up...

E is 7 years old and just started taking piano lessons.  She loves it and is doing quite well.  She came to me a couple of days ago upset.  When I asked her what was wrong she said she can't decide what she wants to be when she grows up.  She wants to play the piano, sing, and do art, but she can't decide which one she wants to do the most.  I just smiled at her and told her that she didn't have to choose just one.  She could do all of them if she wanted to.  She was very happy with that and went back to whatever she was working on.

It made me think of all of the things I wanted to be/do when I grew up.  I've done some of them and I've tried some others.  Like I wanted to grow up and get married and have kids.  check, check, and check.  Bungee jump.  check...never doing it again, not even for a million dollars, but check.  Run a 1/2 marathon.  check.  (and training for another one)  Be a teacher.  check...not the way I had originally thought, but I still did it and do it everyday.

There is one thing that I've ALWAYS wanted to do and haven't.  I want it so badly that fear of failing is keeping me from taking the leap of faith and doing it.  Do you have one thing that you want more than anything, but you are afraid of trying?  Oh...you want to know mine?  Well...I have always wanted to be a writer.  I want to write a novel that actually gets published.  I want someone to send me a letter and tell me that my book changed their life and thank me for writing it.  I want it so bad I dream about it.  I have actually started writing it and then I put it away.  I think about it almost everyday, but I just can't make myself pull it back out.  I am paralyzed by my fear that no one will like it and even worse, that it won't help even one single person.

There, it's out.  I told you.  And I actually feel somewhat relieved.  Isn't that interesting?  Do you think less of me?  Do you think I'm crazy?

What is the one thing you have always wanted to do, but for whatever reason haven't?  Leave me a comment and tell it to the world.

We get back in town tonight, so I will be able to answer emails and etsy orders and see all of the fabulousness that you all have linked up.  Can't wait.

2 comments:

Life in Rehab said...

I always wanted to be a writer too...and blogging is my outlet for it!

Mills Family said...

Sarah you didn't have to write a book to change my life. Your friendship was enough. You are amazing. Go for the gold little camper!